Fried Chicken And Donuts: A Match Made in Heaven?

One of the best parts about working in downtown D.C. is having a wide variety of restaurants, food trucks, and cafes to choose from for lunch. I took an excursion with a coworker on our lunch break to Astro Doughnuts and Fried Chicken on G Street Northwest. Usually, I don’t associate donuts with fried chicken, and I’m generally picky about my fried chicken (as a black woman, I can say that no one fries chicken like my mom *praise hands emoji*), so I was initially leery of the idea. However, I was hungry, and in the mood for trying something new. I rarely pass up an opportunity for good food!

IMG_3229

It was a short walk from our office building, so we got there in no time. Upon entering the establishment, I noticed that there was no indoor seating (which sucks, given that it’s been so cold here), but only a few metal chairs and tables on the sidewalk outside. All I could do is hope that the food would be worth freezing my hands off. Rows of donuts were beautifully displayed behind the counter, and the aroma of hot fried chicken wafted up from below. What’s interesting is that they have a dumbwaiter (essentially a vertical conveyor belt) for moving the chicken back and forth from the kitchen, as the store itself is unbelievably tiny (I wanted a photo, but couldn’t get one without the cashier being in the way).

Now, on to the food. I ordered 2 pieces of dark meat, along with a vanilla glazed donut, and my coworker ordered 2 pieces of dark with a crème brulee donut. The chicken was absolutely delicious, to my surprise. It was well seasoned, juicy, and had the perfect amount of crunch when I bit into it. While it isn’t my mom’s fried chicken, it was definitely a great substitute (sorry, Mommy! Lol). I ate the donut later in the day, and that was delicious as well. It was just enough glaze without being overwhelming, and had just the right amount of sweetness. This place is a 10 out of 10 on the yum scale, and I’ll definitely be back. They just need indoor seating.

What are some of your favorite places to eat?

Advertisements

13 Comments Add yours

1. Erin says:

I’ve been looking for new food places to try in the area so this will definitely have to go on my list! I love a nice small restaurant and your review made it sound delicious.

1. naturallykam says:

Go for it, it was so good! And thanks for reading!

2. Kris B says:

GIRL!!!! Now I want some. I feel like it would be a great chicken and waffle blend. I wish I would have known about this place during my last visit to DC but I will definitely put it on list for next time. I’m hungry now lol

1. naturallykam says:

It sounds weird but it was so good! 🤤You should definitely check them out when you’re back in town. Thanks for reading!

3. The ambiance of this place seems cool. Also, I love the way you described everything, I totally tried to picture it lol!

4. Syd says:

OMG I work around the corner from here and having been dying to try this. Your cosign makes me want to head over ASAP

1. naturallykam says:

go for it! you won’t be disappointed

Liked by 1 person

5. I am so jealous. There is nothing by my jb but Walmart and gas stations. lol
    The title of your post alone drew me in. That combo sounds so good yes so bad, yet sooooo good.

6. Taylor says:

I JUST left the gym and now I’m hungry!! lmao I’m taking a vacation to DC soon and this just made the list of must trys!

1. naturallykam says:

lmao go check them out! definitely worth it

7. At first I was like “Nah, sis” 😂😂😂 but this isn’t such a bad idea! I mean there’s chicken and waffles so why not this?! I may have to add this to my bucket list.

xx,
    Aïchatou Bella

1. naturallykam says:

lmao!! You should definitely check them out, it was well worth it.